Thursday, March 11, 2010

From Shirt to Skirt

My oldest Daughter has always been really hard on her clothes. Even as a baby her clothes would get stained. While going through her old baby clothes for our new little on I found this cute shirt.

IMAG00083

IMAG00183

I loved the pattern and the little pleats in the front. However, the top of the shirt is very stained. I had the thought that this could make a really cute skirt for my little one. So here is what I did. I love reusing things and making them into something new!

IMAG00013

I cut the skirt right above the pleats. I then cut a piece of brown cotton fabric. I cut this 22 inches wide and 4 inches long.

IMAG00023IMAG00033

I then sewed this into a tube with a 1/4 inch seam.

IMAG00044

I then pinned the brown fabric to my skirt fabric. Pin with right sides together. Make sure to align the seams. Sew together using a 1/4 inch seam. I then sewed over that with a zig zag stitch.

IMAG00143

Now it is time to sew a a casing for the elastic. I used 1/2 inch Elastic. Using your iron press down the brown fabric 5/8” and then fold over and iron again.

IMAG00162

Once you have that done. Edge stitch around the bottom of your fold. Remember to leave an opening to feed your elastic through.

IMAG00173

Trim your elastic and the edge stitch were you left it open. Turn inside out and you have a cute skirt.

IMAG00183

You could also make some cute little bloomers from Here or just use some you have from another little skirt. I know I have several skirts with Dark blue bloomers that would work.

No comments:

Post a Comment