Saturday, December 4, 2010

December 4th

My daughter must have a gift for finding wrapped books.  The two kids were talking about the Grinch who stole Christmas.  I told her that we have the book but it is with the wrapped books.  Tonight was her turn and she picked it.  So both her nights she has picked the books she wanted from the wrapped books.

I love "The Grinch who Stole Christmas" by Dr. Seuss.  I have memories of my mom reading this book to me on Christmas Eve.  Christmas Eve was always a fun night.  We usually got together with all the cousins at my Grandma's house.  We would dress up as The Nativity.  Often each family group would sing or perform something.  We would eat homemade donuts and hot chocolate.  It was all about being with family.

I love this book because it really teaches that Christmas is not about the gifts, the decorations, or the tree.  It is about Jesus' birth!  I also feel that it is about being with family.  I love at the end of the book when the Who's are singing and the Grinch is puzzled by their happiness.  He had stolen what he thought Christmas was only to find out the Christmas is not something that can be bought in the store.  Each year I try to remember that also.  By trying to keep Christmas simple so I can remember the real reasons we are celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment